Skip to main content

Women @ Cannes

A great roundup article here, by Sophie Ivan. Tx Little White Lies; Truth & Movies.

She also wrote about a Birds Eye View panel of women filmmakers. Tx Birds Eye View.

And there's another article here, by Abigail Tartellin. Tx Women & Hollywood.

And finally, a couple of articles about a party given by documentary director Angela Ismailos. She has just made Great Directors, and included two women among the nine directors she interviewed: Agnes Varda and Catherine Breillat.

I liked these articles because both writers talk with/about Catherine Breillat. I have a very beautiful poster for her Sex is Comedy in my hall, right opposite one for Agnes Varda's The Gleaners & I. I've read and been told that women writers and directors are represented much more strongly in France than elsewhere, and I can't remember reading anything a French woman has said about sexism in their industry. So I heard Catherine Breillat's voice like a tiny exciting whisper, and look forward to hearing more when Great Directors gets here.

The first article, by Karin Badt, from the Huffington Post, includes the following exchange:
"The French don't like me," said Catherine Breillat (who is French) tout court. " It is only thanks to the Americans that I am still a filmmaker."

"And why don't the French like you?"

"Because I make films that are outside their limits. I make films where women talk about sex."

"But the French say they LOVE sex!"

"Only if a man is talking about it," Ms. Breillat said.

The second article is by Anne Thompson in Variety, and includes a brief video interview about Great Directors with Angela Ismailos.

Comments